This plant-based "tuna" tartare uses young coconut meat for a vegan fish replacement. Let's start with the best thing about this plant-based and vegan recipe.. it doesn't start with having to crack a coconut! Copra coconut meat is already hand-scooped out of the young coconut for you. Overall, coconut meat makes a great fish substitution because of it's texture and ability to pick up flavors of any recipe. For instance, this plant-based "tuna" tartare recipe has hints of spicy sriracha and citrus. If you love this recipe for its vegan fish substitution, check out our Sashimi and Ceviche plant-based recipes!
What you need
- 1 tsp chopped shallot
- 2 tsp chopped chives
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp sriracha sauce or more if you like it spicy.
- 1/3 cup of Copra Coconut Meat cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1/2 avocado cut into 1/4 inch cubes, to taste
- 1/2 tsp of Celtic sea salt as desired
- Ponzu sauce and mayonnaise mixed to taste
- *Optional Nora Seaweed Snacks
step by step
- Start plant-based recipe by combining shallots, chives, salt, olive oil, lemon juice and sriracha and stir to combine. Add coconut meat (vegan fish substitution) and gently stir to combine.
- Serve with avocado and a drizzle of sriracha and ponzu/mayonnaise.
- Garnish plate with leftover sauce and/or chives.
- Add crunch with seaweed snacks (Copra's fave!).
*Adapted from Pinch and Swirl
Contact us for wholesale opportunities.