Vegan Coconut Pie
Have some of our fresh coconut meat handy in your freezer or fridge? If so, try taking a stab at this Filipino inspired vegan coconut pie! Also called “Buko” pie, this coconut dessert is known for its flaky crust and sweet coconut taste. This makes sense because “Nam Hom” coconuts are known for their sweet aroma. In fact, “Nam Hom” actually means “fragrant water.” However, bordering the fragrant water you will find the young coconut meat and it’s here to share the spotlight. The flaky crust even makes for a delicious morning pastry. Hmm, maybe that’s why they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day?
step by step
- Begin this coconut pie recipe by sifting flour and salt.
- Add chilled coconut oil and cut in with a knife until resembling small peas. Caution to not cut too small. This will cause the crust to be crumbly.
- Add lemon juice to the cold water and sprinkle just enough cold water to the flour mixture, while tossing lightly with a fork to form a ball.
- Chill then divide into two equal parts, one for the bottom and one for the top crust.
- Take 1 part of the pie dough and place it on a floured surface and roll it out thinly to fit a 28×4 cm pie pan with additional inch allowance for the edges.
- Fold the rolled dough in half and then in a quarter. Place the dough on top of the pie pan with the pointed part exactly at the middle.
- Unfold the pie dough and gently fit dough into bottom and sides of the plate without tearing it.
- Trim dough to a 1-inch overhang. Fold under and press gently to seal. Optional to crimp edges. Refrigerate 30 minutes to an hour before using.
- Take the remaining half of the dough and roll it forming a circle with the same diameter as the top of the pie pan.
- Place the dough on a parchment paper and roll it together into a cylinder.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in coconut water and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the cream and coconut nectar and bring to a simmer. Cook until coconut nectar is completely dissolved.
- Add the coconut meat.
- Slowly add the coconut water with cornstarch, stirring regularly. Cook, stirring consistently until the sauce thickens to almost paste-like consistency (3 to 5 minutes).
- Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
Assembly and Baking
- Evenly distribute the filling on the chilled pie crust.
- Unroll the second crust dough with the parchment paper to cover the top of the pie.
- Cut the excess from the edges. Pinch the sides to seal together with the crust.
- Use fork to poke holes on top crust to serve as vents for the steam while baking.
- Bake in a 425 F for 10 minutes.
- While pie is baking, prepare vegan egg wash by whisking coconut nectar and coconut milk together in a small bowl.
- Remove the pie from oven and brush top of pie with the vegan egg wash.
- Lower temperature and bake for another 30-40 minutes.
- Serve warm. Enjoy!
*Adapted from Kawaling Pinoy