What you need
- 6 cups Copra coconut water
- ½ lb jumbo shrimps, shells removed (but save the shells to make a stock) and de-veined, or protein of your choice
- 2 stalks fresh lemongrass, cut into 2 inch pieces, bruised
- 1 galangal root, sliced and bruised
- 1 cup Copra young coconut meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup mushrooms, quartered
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, stems removed
- 2 tomatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 small onion or shallots , quartered
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, or to taste
- Thai chili(s), bruised, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, or to taste
- Cilantro, for garnish
step by step
- Bring the coconut water to the boil, then add the shrimp shells, and remove them after about two minutes,
- Bruise the lemongrass and galangal root, then add them to the boiling stock,
- Add in the shrimp or protein of your choice to the boiling stock. Cook for about two minutes, or until the color of the shrimp has changed to white with red stripes,
- Add the coconut meat, mushrooms, tomatoes and onion,
- Lower the heat, tear the kaffir lime leaves and add them to the soup,
- In a small bowl, mix the fish sauce, hot pepper and lime juice, and set aside.
- Reduce the heat, and pour in the seasoning liquid.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Notes: Always lower the heat before you put in the lime juice (seasoning liquid) to avoid bitterness. Vegans can use salt or mushroom sauce instead of soy sauce.
*Created by Chef Hong Thaimee