Tom Kha is a classic Thai soup. I’ve put my own spin on it, to make it vegan, and feature the delicious texture and flavor of young coconut meat. As the temperature drops, this soup will warm your heart and soul!
What you need
- 16 oz Copra Coconut Water
- 1 cup Copra Coconut Milk
- ¼ cup shallots
- 2’ galangal (fresh or frozen) , sliced into about ¼ inch thick
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into about 1 inch long strips, bruised or smashed
- 1 cup mushroom of your choice, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup Copra Young Coconut Meat
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, torn (fresh or frozen)
- 1 small bunch cilantro, roughly chopped (plus extra for garnish)
- 5 Thai “Prik Kee Noo”, chili, or to taste, smashed
- ¼ cup lime juice or to taste
- 2 tsp salt or to taste (I used pink Himalayan salt)
step by step
- In a 4-6 quart pot, heat Copra Coconut Water and Copra Coconut Milk, shallots, galangal, and lemongrass. Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add mushrooms and Copra Young Coconut Meat and let boil for about 3 minutes or until they are thoroughly cooked.
- Lower the heat. Then add Kaffir lime leave and cilantro. Season with chili, lime juice and salt.
- Garnish with cilantro, when serve.
Notes: For meat eaters, you can make use chicken or seafood stock instead of coconut water. Also, you can add extra chicken meat (your choice of chicken breast or chicken thigh) or seafood. You can also use fish sauce to season instead of salt.
*Created by Chef Hong Thaimee